World Building  

Posted by Radielle in

I was just reading a couple of posts discussing world building and outlining over on Science Fiction and Fantasy Novelists. Here are the links to Part 1 and Part 2.



I have a kind of method when I start working on a new world. Once I have the basic premise of the story, I established what I think are the three primary features of a fantasy world.

  • Magic - how will it work on this world, if it even exists.
  • The gods - are they myths or facts? Do they get involved in human affairs or not?
  • Technology - what technological level has my principal nation attained? Are they behind or ahead of the rest of the world?
Once this has been established, I start creating. Character development, world building and outlining always get so mixed up that it's difficult for me to keep track. I will be working on a setting and will have an idea for a character. The character will give me an idea for a scene. That will prompt the discovery of a new character, who will in turn give me information for my setting...

Ideas always fire up too quickly for me to type. I've had to revert to pen and paper when developing a new world. I write way quicker than I type. It ends up being a mess of ideas in a notebook that I have to sort through afterwards. But I think it is still worth it.

I am a big fan of the 'iceberg approach', as David calls it. I want to know everything about my world, and more. Each nation could end up with long histories dating back to the creation of the world, detailed maps, whole sets of laws, different philosophies and ways of thinking, particular social structures, codes of conduct and honour, lengthy description of their own technologies, how they approach war and fighting in all their forms, descriptions of their favourite sports and hobbies...

Characters usually have at least a biography - more or less long depending on their importance to the story - a very detailed description of what they look like and a list of friends and relatives along with their skills and where they can be found if needed. My main characters also have a theme tune I like to listen to when I write about them.

I always end up with far more information than I can cram up in my books. I think it does show in my writing though, and helps make it better...

How do you create your worlds?

This entry was posted on 23 Mar 2011 at 20:58 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment